Saturday, October 19, 2019

BOOK REVIEW: "GIRLS OF PAPER AND FIRE"

SPOILERS (AND RANT) BELOW:⁣
So I loved the writing style of this story, and I could totally envision the lovely surroundings. I really wanted to love this book, but I had issues...⁣
The MC Lei had so much potential to actually be the courageous heroine we need, but fell way short. Now Wren, on the other hand, was everything I want in a heroine: self-sacrificing, determined, and purposeful. ⁣
Lei was characterized as "brave" for "standing up to the King" when all she did was run away from him because she was scared. The other girls were scared too, but because they knew that disobedience would harm their families, they BRAVELY and selflessly suffered. Lei had no plan, she just gave in to blind fear, which was justified of course, but I wouldn't characterize her as brave and the others as not.⁣
Also, she never did analyze her situation trying to make a plan for escape, and she was actually angry when Wren revealed that she had one!!🙄 Lei was sooo reactionary. And she demanded that everyone trust her, yet she almost blew the secret at least twice because she couldn't control her emotions!⁣
And their relationship was so Insta-lovey!😣 I have no idea why they were attracted to each other, other than looks. I would have wanted more depth to the other girls too.⁣
Anyway, I wish that Wren had been the MC. Lei had me so frustrated that I really didn't connect with her at all.⁣
I don't know if coming fresh off the Nevernight Chronicles affected my perception, but it is what it is.⁣

No comments:

Post a Comment