Sunday, August 18, 2019

BOOK REVIEW: "The Bone Ships"


The premise of this book was interesting (hello sea dragon!) and the world is quite a bit different from the ones in which we find the usual sea-farers. I actually didn't like the world much (see "corpselights"), but neither did one of the MCs, so that just means the world was well-built.

The story starts with plenty of action, but not much of the plot is revealed until about 1/4 through the book, so I felt a little lost until then. And there are unfamiliar ship-related terms that took a bit to get used to.

But after that point, the story itself sailed along pretty predictably, full of crew-building, ship-fixing, and battles at sea, and kept my attention. 

I did feel myself skimming over the in-depth descriptions of the mechanics of the battles, like pages devoted to how to shoot one of the ship's bows.

All in all, an entertaining story in a unique 
world. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book will be published Sept 24! Thanks to Orbit and Net Galley for an ARC in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment